Friday, May 24, 2024

The Oldest Sibling - If Only for a Day!

 


The photo above is of me and my three sisters feeding bummer lambs that were given to us. While it may look like my sisters are all older than me, I would like to point out that it all DEPENDS on the situation. Just because Irene was born 12 years, Clara 10 years, and Norma 4 years before me does not mean that I will never be older than them.

They are constantly telling me about what I have to look forward to in another 4, 10, and 12 years - like the joy of increasing or constant pain, having mobility and leg problems, and the ever popular memory issues. They have definitely convinced me that our father was using hyperbole when he quoted Robert Browning's "Come grow old with me! The best is yet to be. The last of life, for which the first was made."

But not today! Today, I am older than them because I had Cystoscopy Bilateral RP, Ureteroscopy  surgery with laser. As I lay in bed wearing DEPENDS, with a stint in my urethra without control of my bladder and painfully discharging blood as I urinate, it dawned on me that who is oldest really DEPENDS on the situation. Today it is me - I'm the oldest. 

Hopefully, this will all change tomorrow and they can once again tell me just how fortunate I am to only be 76 and what I have to look forward to in 4, 10, and 12 years.

You know the picture above really fits with this posting because old age really can be a bummer - DEPENDING on the situation!

No comments:

Post a Comment